Sunday 30 March 2014

A Boy Or A Girl by Regina M. Linn


At first you moved,
only a little.
I could always find you,
right in the middle.

As time went on,
you really started to grow.
It wasn't a whole lot,
in fact, it was rather slow.

Before I knew it,
you were all over the place.
It kind of felt like,
you were running a race.

People would ask me,
if, you were a boy or a girl.
I would sit and wonder,
if, you would have curls.

There are so many things,
I really want to know.
But, you are hidden inside,
so the answers don't show.

How much will you weigh?
How tall will you be?
What colour is your hair?
Will you even like me?

I hope and pray,
you feel like you belong.
I never want you to feel,
like you are alone.

Your Dad and I,
planned you from the start.
You, my dear child,
were made straight from our hearts.

In about a week or so,
I'll meet you, for the first time.
For you are the product,
of your Dad's love and mine.

There will be no one like you,
not any place in the world.
It really doesn't matter,
if you are a boy or a girl.

We are both so happy,
that you even exist.
The gender doesn't matter.
you'll be hard to resist.

I hope I make you proud,
that I am your mother every day.
Because, you have filled my dreams,
in more ways, than words can say.

It won't be long before,
I can look you in the eyes.
I can feel the excitement growing,
I know I'm going to cry.


Don't worry my angel,
those tears will be of joy.
It won't matter to me,
if you are a girl or a boy.

by Regina M. Linn

ANALYSIS OF POEM
This poem is about the process of thoughts that goes through a mother's mind when she is pregnant and when her baby is growing in her. The whole poem describes the whole process of pregnancy, from when the foetus first appears to when it starts moving and finally to when it is going to be given birth to. Throughout the whole poem, the persona's thoughts change, from wondering and being very curious about whether the baby was going to be a boy or a girl, to realising that the gender of the baby did not actually matter to her, because no matter what the outcome was going to be, she would still treasure and love her child. The persona talking to her child in this poem.
In stanzas 1-3, the persona is describing the beginning of pregnancy and how the fetus developed in him.
Stanzas 4-6, it illustrates the persona's thoughts, emotions and  even worries of how the child will turn out to be like. It also shows us that she wants to know all about her child and is anxious to do so.

Stanzas 6-12 the persona shows the love she has for her baby, never wanting it to be alone. She also emphasizes on how the baby is the result of "Dad's love and [hers]" and how the baby would be one of a kind, and will always be special in the persona's eyes. As the persona feels that the baby will be special in her eyes no matter what, the persona realises that gender does not really matter to her anymore as she will no doubt love her child no matter what gender it is ok.
In the last 3 stanzas, the persona has built up a strong connection and love for the baby.  She does not  care  about what the gender of the baby is by the end of the poem and have decided that all she wants is for her baby to be happy in this world.
This poem includes rhyming words that allow the poem to flow nicely.  This poem shows the growth of motherly love in the persona throughout the whole poem. Futhemore, the poet takes us through the whole thought process of pregnancy and ends the poem with the love of the mother for her child.  It states in the poem that 'It won't matter to me,if you are a girl or a boy." which shows how the persona will love her child no matter what gender her child is or how her child looks. It emphasizes on the majestic motherly love she possesses.


Thus this poem is about the process of pregnancy and the thoughts and emotions that come with it. It is a inspirational poem.

x

1 comment:

  1. Close-reading through specific words and phrases, please!

    ReplyDelete